The Be REAL Facilitator Training will be offered online via Zoom. It has
- REAL Pro Immersion Program;
- the Facilitation Training; followed by an 1-hour individual consultation meeting when you need it.
1) The 7-week REAL Pro Immersion Program
Our research and experience show that Be REAL is best delivered by staff who have participated in the same program as part of their own development, which is why we ask that instructors interested in bringing Be REAL to their campus participate in the full program adapted for professionals (REAL Pro) to familiarize themselves with the content and practices. It is important for staff to adopt mindfulness and cognitive-behavioral practices in their own lives to support their own well-being as well as to support their students. Further, staff report that the time and space to focus on their well-being enhances their group facilitation and 1-1 work with students.
Be REAL offered to students is typically 6-weeks long, with 90-minute sessions each week. The REAL Pro Facilitator Training includes one additional session (90-minutes) at the beginning of the program for introducing the pedagogy, foundational concepts in the training, and group introductions. This portion of the training accounts for 10.5 hours.
2) The Facilitation Training
The Facilitation Training is offered directly after the REAL Pro group ends. The training includes:
- Three sessions that are 3-hours long. During the training, participants review how to facilitate key mindfulness practices, deliver cognitive behavioral skills, facilitate inquiry, and review considerations for cultivating inclusive environments for students.
- Three hours of small group/independent practice teaching during these three weeks.
- Two and a half hours of independent study and personal reflection to review the facilitation manual, facilitator webpage and professional resources.
As part of the Facilitation Training, you will receive an electronic copy of the Be REAL manual and access to our facilitator webpage. The 180-page manual includes scripts for each session that you can use verbatim or adapt as needed for your students. You will also receive professionally developed materials to supplement your teaching, including:
- 10 handouts (all handouts available in English and Spanish)
- 6 weekly newsletters that align with the Be REAL program
- 8 videos on key topics and content areas
- More than 20 guided audio practices (English and Spanish)
- Templates for recruiting and registering students
This portion of the training accounts for 14.5 hours.
The two-part sequence accounts for 25 hours of professional training. Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available.
Consultation Meeting and Ongoing Support
Be REAL Trainers offer one-hour individual consultation meetings with each participant to support the adaptation and implementation of Be REAL at a time that works for them.
After completing the two-part training series, participants are welcome to join the quarterly online Be REAL Community of Practice sessions. These drop-in sessions offer staff a space to exchange ideas in supporting well-being, as well as a space to reflect on their own practice and well-being.